Updated June 15, 2017
Devon Broglie is a Master Sommelier (he knows a thing or two about wine), and the Global Beverage Buyer at Whole Foods Market. Along with co-conspirator Doug Bell, Devon is part of the team that discovers and buys all the beautiful wines on shelf at Whole Foods Market wine departments across the country. His passion for wine is as infectious as his love for barbecue in his hometown of Austin, Texas.
When the temperatures rise and summer announces its appearance, it’s time for refreshing, crisp, fruity — and yes — chillable wines. Whether you’re grilling by the pool, picnicking in the park or spending the day on the lake, the team and I feel that these personally curated wines exemplify all the things that make summer unique, joyous and memorable.
3 Summer Wine Trends You Need to Know About Now
This is the trend of the summer, in my opinion. They’re totally versatile and always FUN! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Warm afternoon? Chill Lieubeau Cabernet Franc. Lively, fresh and full of berry notes. Lovely on all levels.
- Get Santa Julia Tintillo nice and cold. Malbec and bonarda grapes join forces to bump up the vibrance.
- Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro Amabile is hard to pronounce, easy to drink! Fruity, frothy, leaning toward sweet.
- Fresh. Irreverant. Delicious. Put a couple of bottles of Tendu California Red Wine in the cooler next to the beers and see what runs out first!
- Planeta Frappato delights with a slight chill. Rose petal aromas, juicy fruit. Classy.
- Louis Jadot Combe aux Jacques Beaujolais-Villages is from the heart of Beaujolais! Drink cold to preserve delicate floral and fruit notes.
Wine in Cans
Two great wines — West Side Wine Co. Chardonnay (spritzy pineapple vanilla notes) and Begonia Sangria (fruity, easy drinking) — come in awesome little cans. Portable, glass-free and delicious. They pair beautifully with beach blankets. Insider tip: best enjoyed straight from the can.
1.5 liter magnums serve about 10 glasses of wine per bottle — party on! The Charles & Charles Rosé magnum is spicy, floral and full of fresh berry notes. Amazing with Greek grilling cheese … or fried chicken.
More Can’t Miss Summer Favorites
The White Wine Lover’s Wine
Want a white wine that will please everyone? Try Bieler Family Daisy Pinot Grigio Blend. Intense and peachy with lively acidity. Perfect outside with ceviche or grilled shrimp.
European White Wines
Authentic, elegant European white wines are more in demand than ever. Le Pillon Gascogne is like biting into a freshly picked green apple. El Terrano Albariño is zippy, fresh and adores paella.
Something about the char or the “bark” I get on a perfectly grilled steak … I can’t get enough! These two Reds bump the experience up a notch. Or two. Monterustico Piemonte Rosso comes from one of the best producers out there. Intense structure. More, please. And you can put Ancient Peaks Cabernet Sauvignon up against way more expensive wines any day. A classic Paso Robles cab — dense, ripe, toasty. Yes with a perfectly grilled rib-eye.
Grilling sausage or carne asada? Here’s an incredible pairing — rich, fruity Bodini Cielo Rojo Red Blend. And here’s the go-to for all you salmon grillers out there — OTWC (Oregon Trails Wine Company) Pinot Noir. Aromatic rosemary, plum and sassafrass.
Always peachy, with seemingly endless bubbles, there’s a reason why prosecco is the hottest sparkler in the business right now. Apricot-forward Vacanze Italiane Prosecco is what to pop this 4th of July. When I grill peaches, a glass of this will be in hand.