Updated August 8, 2017
What Are Supplements?
Supplements are just that — supplements, not replacements. Paired with a healthy diet, they can help keep the body strong and well by focusing on prevention and support. They can also help address specific health needs related to your joints, heart, brain, digestion and more. Research indicates that optimal levels of some nutrients are tough to obtain from diet alone, so…supplements!
The Whole Body sections of our stores have a wide variety of supplement types, so if multivitamins are the only kind that spring to mind, there’s a whole new world to explore.
Top 10 Most Popular Types of Supplements
1. Bone and Joint
- Calcium provides critical support for healthy bones. Although it is never too late to support and nourish your bones, early intervention through adequate calcium intake, regular exercise, and a diet rich in fresh, unprocessed foods will help prevent bone loss in later years.
- Vitamin D plays a major role in bone development and appears to have a beneficial effect on many of the body’s systems. Most people cannot get needed levels of vitamins D from recommended diets.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin formulas address joint discomfort by supplementing and supporting components naturally found in healthy cartilage. Glucosamine is a building block of cartilage, while chondroitin sulfate is actually a constituent of cartilage.
- Zyflamend promotes a healthy inflammation response that helps support joint health.
We recommend…New Chapter Zyflamend and Adora Dark Chocolate Calcium Disks
2. Wellness for Cold and Flu
- Homeopathic flu remedies, when taken at the first sign of sickness, can provide temporary relief of symptoms including fever, chills and body aches.
- Warm liquids may provide similar soothing effects as steam.
- Experts say… Washing your hands is “hands down” the number one prevention for cold and flu.
We recommend…Kor Vitality Tumeric Shot and Kor Vitality Wellness Ginger Shot and 365 Everyday Value® Effervescent Vitamin C
- Fiber supports normal blood sugar levels, hunger, cholesterol levels and a healthy intestine.
- Cleansing helps the body to be more efficient in “housecleaning” the toxins collected in everyday life. Periodic, focused cleansing gives your body time to recoup while supporting your natural detox system with healing compounds.
We recommend…Manitoba Harvest Certified Organic Hemp Protein Powder with Fiber and 365 Everyday Value® Complete Body Cleanse
4. EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids)
- EFAs are vital for numerous functions in the body, including a healthy cardiovascular system, brain, mood, joints and skin.
We recommend…365 Everyday Value® Organic Chia Seed and Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Multivitamins contain beneficial nutrients that may be difficult to obtain from food sources alone. They act as nutritional “insurance.” Experts say many Americans are falling short in a number of nutrients including vitamins E, A, C, and magnesium. Other nutrients that may be potential problems include calcium, vitamin K, potassium and dietary fiber.
- Kids’ Multivitamins literally give children the ABCs they need: vitamin A, the B vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, vitamin D — and even “E” for essential fatty acids! We’ve got kid-friendly tablets, powder packets, shake mixes, greens powders, liquids, gummies and chewables — with the nutrients they need, not the artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners.
- Each age group has special nutrient requirements, so look for multivitamins targeted to specific age ranges.
We recommend…New Chapter Only One Multivitamin
- Prenatal multivitamins contain nutrients that are extra important for mother and baby. Avoid those with artificial additives, colors or flavors. Consider starting on a prenatal multivitamin three months before you conceive and continue through breastfeeding.
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 fatty acid that’s vital for a baby’s brain and nervous system to grow properly.
We recommend…Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA and Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multi
- Probiotics play an important role in digestion, supporting the immune system and intestinal health.
We recommend…Garden of Life Raw Probiotics Women and Garden of Life Raw Probiotics Men
8. Protein Powders
- Protein provides amino acids, which are vital for lean muscle tissue growth and repair, as well as cellular metabolism. Your body may get sufficient levels of protein from foods you eat, but if you are looking for additional support, supplementing with protein powder is an option. Most are vegetarian and some varieties are dairy free or vegan.
We recommend…Amazing Grass Peanut Butter Superfood Protein Powder
9. Sports Nutrition
- Whatever your workout, sports nutrition supplements (think pre-workout energizers, endurance gels, and protein powders) can fuel your sessions before, sustain your energy during and support repair and recovery after.
We recommend…Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
- Superfoods are packed with essential nutrients and available in a variety of convenient forms, like powders, bars and capsules, which can help you get in your recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Greens and grasses are loaded with antioxidants, fiber and minerals; Maca delivers glucosinolates, the healthy compounds in cruciferous vegetables.
We recommend…Amazing Grass Organic Wheatgrass Powder and Navitas Naturals Incan Organic Maca Powder
All our stores are different and the exact product options differ between stores. Our Whole Body team members can help you find what you need, offer product suggestions and may even be able to special order products. Check with your local store for information about the specific products they carry and what they have in stock.
Editor’s Note: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.